Weekly Nerd News: February 11


by Haylee Fisher (@haylee_fisher)

Have you fallen behind on your nerd news? Don’t worry; we’re here to help! Here are a few stories to bring up at the water cooler this week:

After first being announced as the director for the new Star Wars reboot/sequel, JJ Abrams is now in talks to make a video game or even a film based on Portal or Half-Life. If it came to fruition, he would be working on the project with Valve co-founder Gabe Newell. The two were part of a discussion series at the 2013 DICE Summit where they talked about each other’s work, similarities and differences between films and games, and the successes and failures of both. Is this collaboration something you hope becomes realized?

Rumors are swirling with what features the new Playstation console will have. Sony will be holding an event February 20 where they will announce said new console and according to a Japanese newspaper, there will be many new changes to the system. One report says the new controller will have biometric support in the form of a rear touchpad and another states it will integrate a cloud streaming service. It is also thought to cost a little over $400. Are you excited for a more social Playstation?

On the heels of last week’s news about an accessory that turns your phone into a bow and arrow, Hasbro has announced they are releasing an actual Nerf bow and arrow. There’s a twist, though: this will be the first product launched in a line of toys marketed specifically toward girls. The line will be called Nerf Rebelle and the bow, called the Heartbreaker, will come out in the fall. What do you think of Hasbro’s decision to release toys based on a gender divide? Do you think boys and girls should be able to play with all Nerf toys regardless or do you think a line just for girls is a good idea?

Continuing with the toy theme, the Toy Fair 2013 was held a few days ago and it gave us a first look at the Thor: The Dark World action figures that will be released in November, which is also when the movie comes out. Among the figures are Thor, Loki, and the Dark Elves. Also available will be a Thor mask, two versions of his hammer Mjolnir, and a new “Titan Hero Series” line. Hasbro also released images of toys from the upcoming Iron Man 3, Transformers, Star Wars, Star Trek, and more. Will you be adding any of these action figures to your collection?

DC Comics will soon be launching two new series that takes place in a current universe that deals with class struggles in a world filled with superheroes, aliens, and other other-worldly events. Loosely based on the Occupy Movement, one series, called The Green Team, will concentrate on the 1% and the other title, The Movement, will be a chance to meet the 99%. The series will concentrate on questions of morality like, “Can money make you happy?” and, “What happens if a corrupt group comes into power?” The Movement writer Gail Simone, also of Batgirl, says she hopes the series’ depiction of real-life power and influence will reflect today’s politics in a revolutionary way. Do these series sound like something that will be of interest to you?

Have you ever wanted to be a part of either the Galactic Empire or the Rebel Alliance? If you answered yes, then new campaigns on Kickstarter may be for you. After the White House declined a petition to build a Death Star, one group of Star Wars fans took to the fundraising site to raise money for their own Death Star. In retaliation, another group started their own Kickstarter to build a squadron of X-Wing Fighters. Currently, almost $360,000 has been pledged toward the Death Star and the X-Wings almost $92,000. Will you be helping back either project?

    One Comment

  1. NerditaFebruary 12th, 2013 at 10:31 pm

    I think a Nerf Bow and arrow for girls would be good. Now if they could just make a Gwen Stacy action figure that doesn’t look like a cartoon, I’ll be really excited. And yes I understand the irony of that visual comparison-but come on-girls deserve better action figures of women than we are getting. Conclusion: We buy the male-geek marketed products anyway-it would be nice to live in a world where there are female-marketed nerd products for a change beside baby doll t-shirts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sorry. No data so far.



Read More