Everything You Need to Know About Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary
by Haylee Fisher (@haylee_fisher)
The BBC is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who in big ways.
Last night kicked off the first edition of “Doctor Who Revisited” on BBC America. For once a month all year, they will show a complete special starring each Doctor, starting last night with “The Aztecs” featuring the first Doctor William Hartnell. But don’t be disappointed if you missed it – Netflix has the specials for all of the Doctors except Eight. It should be a fun way to introduce the world of Doctor Who to those without Netflix, though! And how cool will it be to watch the show evolve from a children’s series with an obviously low production value and cheap special effects to the heavily CGI-assisted show we all know and love today?
But that’s not all. Rumor is Steven Moffat has agreements from all previous still-living Doctors to appear in the 50th anniversary special. And thanks to that aforementioned CGI, they have even resurrected Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee. No word on what former companions, if any, will appear.
This will not be the first time more than one Doctor has appeared on screen together. The 10th anniversary was celebrated with “The Three Doctors” and the 20th with “The Five Doctors.” The 30th anniversary, which happened in 1993, after the show had been canceled, found Pertwee (Three), Tom Baker (Four), Peter Davison (Five), Colin Baker (Six), and Sylvester McCoy (Seven) in a charity crossover episode of EastEnders.
According to a banner the BBC Worldwide posted at the 2013 London Toy Fair, there’s still more they will be doing to observe the anniversary. The TV programming will be as follows:
- Series 7 Part 2 (eight episodes/Spring 2013)
- 50th anniversary special (60 minutes/Fall 2013)
- An Adventure in Space and Time (90 minutes/Fall 2013)
- “Doctor Who Revisited” (11 episodes x 25 minutes/monthly)
Further activity throughout the year:
- Launch of Doctor Who website in January
- A “Doctor per month” retail campaign on Amazon and Forbidden Planet
- Monthly British Film Institute screenings and Q&A sessions at BFI
- Royal Mail stamps in March
- Major presence at Comic-Con in San Diego
- Partnering with the Science Museum on co-branded products and activities
The 50th anniversary special airs November 23 and Doctor Who returns March 30 with the episode “Phantom of the Hex.”