10 Things No One Tells You about Being a Die-Hard Fan
by Noor Alnaqeeb (@nooralnaqeeb)
1. Whenever you hear your show’s theme song, you will burst into a ballad-opera-version of it no matter who is around. Yes, even if it is an instrumental track.
2. Your phone/laptop/mp3 player wallpaper will forever feature your favorite character’s faces, the show’s logo or general memorabilia-type pictures.
3. You will have a countdown that you obsess over until the next season. You will find support groups for the aforementioned obsession with the countdown.
4. You will try and watch the actors in other shows or movies. You will realize its no use because they’re playing different characters. You will forget that it’s no use. The cycle will start over.
5. Your room does not need cleaning, your homework can wait and the dog can walk himself for an hour while you re-watch your favorite episode.
6. During season finales, stock up on tissues and tell people to ignore weird sobbing sounds coming from your room.
7. You will make endless references to the show that your friends and family will not understand or find funny. They will hold an intervention for your series slang. You will say things like “Haha, that’s so Chuck” or “Lol, you’re so Dean right now” and people will look at you strangely and ask if you’re okay.
8. You will start dressing like your favorite character without even realizing it.
9. You may or may not have dreams where you are part of an episode. When I was eleven, I had a dream once that I was part of the Stargate mission group. It was awesome.
10. You will never see the actors the same. If they die in the series that you love them in and you have mourned their death, you will reject the actor as a real character in other series. Instead, you will see them as the ghost of series-past.
Well, there you have it. Ten things people don’t tell you about before you get hooked into a series. So before you obsess over something that might take your fancy, pause, take a moment and realize the consequences. All you almost die-hard fans out there: Beware, it will happen to you. And all you die-hard fans out there: Let’s go ahead and press the ‘resume’ button on our DVD for the series box set we had playing in the background before reading this article.